Ankle pain treatment
Are you experiencing ankle pain? Get professional help from MyFootMedic.
Sport, physical work, and general strain can all cause ankle damage. While you shouldn’t stop living an active lifestyle to avoid all risk of ankle injuries, it’s worth being aware of potential causes and ankle pain treatment options.
Our expert podiatrists have the experience and expertise to identify the cause of your ankle pain, recommend the best course of treatment, and offer prevention advice.
What causes ankle pain?
You may experience ankle pain for a number of reasons. Accidents from sports, a fall, improper training techniques, unsupportive footwear, a sudden increase in weight-bearing activities, and general overuse can all increase your risk of having an ankle injury.
Biomechanical factors such as hypermobility or muscle imbalances can also contribute to ankle pain.
You may also notice ankle pain if you suffer from conditions such as arthritis. However, sometimes, ankle pain can arise from daily wear and tear. Your podiatrist will be able to identify the cause of your pain and support your recovery.
Common types of ankle pain:
- Ankle sprain — damage to the ligaments in your ankle can be caused by twisting during sports like football, dance, rugby or running.
- Peroneal tendonitis — when there is an increased load or overuse of the tendons, the peroneal tendons become inflamed.
- Posterior tibial tendonitis — when the posterior tibial tendon becomes inflamed or torn, making it unable to provide support and stability for your foot arch. This can result in flatfoot.
- Inside (or medial) ankle pain — this can be caused by Tibialis posterior tendinopathy, Flexor tendonitis, Medial calcaneal nerve entrapment, Tarsal tunnel syndrome, a stress fracture, and more.
- Achilles Tendinopathy – pain to the back of the heel, ankle and lower leg caused by damage to the achilles tendon. The damage can vary from inflammation of the tendon to complete rupture of the achilles.
Treatment with our Musculoskeletal (MSK) Podiatrists
Whatever your symptoms — from ankle pain during activity to swelling at the back of the ankle — we can chat through the specifics of your ankle issues, plus your medical history and any past injuries.
Our MSK podiatrists (whose qualifications are specifically focused on ankle and foot complications) will be able to diagnose the cause of your ankle pain and treat your symptoms at our Bedford podiatry clinic.
Whether your ankle pain is from general wear and tear or a sports-related injury, we can help facilitate your ankle recovery. This could be physical therapy, bracing, foot orthotics, joint manipulations, immobilisation, steroid injections or referring you for private surgical assessment if necessary.
Our team at MyFootMedic use state-of-the-art podiatry equipment and the latest medical techniques to provide you with the best injury treatment.
Whether you are a new patient or a regular, you will be advised of our prices and no treatment will be undertaken without your prior consent.